Bougival is embellished with a number of public fountains, which differ depending on their location.
This particular one, surmounted by a carved bracket and lodged in a retaining wall when the church and its surroundings were being rebuilt, shows the importance of springs in the town and it collected water as it resurfaced after flowing down the hillside.
As early as 1770, a deed stated that this spring had to remain accessible to the inhabitants of Bougival. A number of houses had to be demolished in order to build this fountain into the framework of the chevet of the church.
Until the 1970s, the water flowing from it was highly appreciated by the inhabitants of Bougival and by people from the surrounding villages.